This panel advocates for a feminist internet and the need to empower its communities, which work with the technologies to do so. We, as artists who run a network of autonomous servers, have acknowledged a desire by creatives and activists to make and publish their work on our platforms, which are aligned with our identity politics, collaborative ethics and privacy concerns. However, our communities lack the structural resources to enable feminist hosting platforms to become sustainable in the longer term. Our invited speakers will elaborate on the urgency of technofeminist infrastructures in relation to the wider context of digital rights, and will address the challenges their mission entails in relation to internal and external agency. The discussion will unfold around the following topics: Gender bias in the FOSS and digital rights movement Governance for collectivised agency and reaching out to allies Resources for long-term sustainability.
- Moderator: Mara, ooooo, sysadmins, systerserver.org & anarchaserver.org
- Nate Wessalowski, Researcher, Leuphana University Lüneburg
- Mallory Knodel, Chief Technology Officer, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Andrea Zappa, Web developer, Freelancer
- Maddalena Falzoni, Founder, MaadiX ISP
- Anaïs Berck, Artist
Check out the full programme here.
Registrations are open until 24 January, 2022 here.